mySQL book

Scott Lanning wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Bryan Strawser wrote:
> >Anyone purchase/read a good book on mySQL lately?  I see there is an
> >O'Reilly book for mySQL - are there others that anyone would recommend?
> >
> >I'm looking for a general reference guide sorta thing..
>
> I have "MySQL", by Paul DuBois, (C) 2000 New Riders Publishing.
> It's got a red and white cover. Excellent book, IMHO, and sounds
> about what you're looking for. Also the manual you get from
> www.mysql.com is good for reference.

I have both the O'Reilly and New Riders books, and have found the
New Riders book far more useful. For starters, it's specific to
MySQL, so you don't have to sort out the information that doesn't
apply to you. (On the other hand, if you actually want to use
mSQL, it won't be much use.) And it has more information about
server administration and the command-line utilities than the
O'Reilly book does.

Most of the information in the book is actually available in the
online HTML documentation and/or the man pages, but sometimes
it's easier to look things up in a physical book. And right now,
in my opinion, the New Riders book is the one to have.

(Don't take this as a general endorsement of the publisher; I've
also run into some really AWFUL books from New Riders. O'Reilly,
on the other hand, can just about always be counted on to produce
books that are at least reasonable, if not always the best
available on a particular subject.)

Mark J. Dulcey               mark at buttery.org
Visit my house's home page:  http://www.buttery.org/
Visit my home page:          http://www.buttery.org/markpoly/