How does ip masquerading work (overview)?

I don't know Red Hat's config that well, but it sounds like your routine
table.

Check your routing table, using the netstat -nr command.

You should have at least 3 entries:
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0      U          0         0
       0   eth0
127.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0             U          0
0          0   lo
0.0.0.0           192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0             UG         0
0          0   eth0
In my case, I have one NIC. The lo interface is for the local host. The
0.0.0.0 entry is the default route. The gateway is normally a router on the
network. You should have one entry for the local net. In my case,
192.168.0.0 is my local net, which is set up as a class c by the mask
255.255.255.0, so anything for 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 will go out on
that interface.  You can use the route command to change the table.
route add -net 192.168.1 eth1 would add an entry on eth1 for net 192.168.1.
Use the route command to set up your touring table for testing. Then add
those entries to your static routes 192.168.0. You can use the netconf
command to set your routing table on Red Hat.

gaf at gaf:~ >

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>