RH7 behind Windows-based NAT

There are a couple of things I can think of.
First, try pinging a site outside the firewall using the ip address. If that
fails, the problem is most likely a problem with the routing table.
Do a netstat -nr. You should have at least 3 lines:
1. local host address.
2. local net addresses (eg. 192.168.0 ...)
3. default route should use the ip address of the NAT32 box.

(Actually, I think NAT32 likes to use 172.xxx addresses). I would
suspect that the default route is either missing or incorrect.
You can correct this easily by manually using the /sbin/route command.
by memory:
/sbin/route add -net 0 gw <gateway ip address> eth0

While I used to use IP Masq on my desktop machine, I acquired a
Linksys BEFSR41 (4 port Cable Modem/DSL router). This serves my 3
Linux machines (Red Hat 6.2 Alpha, SuSE 6.4 Intel, desktop, SuSE 7.1
Intel laptop) as well as the 3 Windows machines used by Wife and
daughter. The laptop is set up for dhcp and is able to connect to the
linksys, at work, and at Northeastern (where I teach a class).

If the routing table is not being updated correctly, rather than trouble
shoot, you could assign a static IP to it.

If successful, then check your /etc/resolv.conf file.

On 2 May 2001, at 11:18, Ryan Norris wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I'm a newbie to the list.  Have been running linux for a while now -
> love it.
>
> I just moved back home from school.  I have a cable modem (DHCP) that
> is connected to a windows machine running nat32 for a bunch of other
> machines i have running in the house.  i seem to be able to get an IP
> address from the DHCP server that NAT32 provides - but i am unable to
> access anything outside the LAN from my RH7 machine.  all the windows
> PC's get out without a hitch.
>
> yea yea yea, i should be IP masquerading with the linux box instead of
> using nat32 - but this can't be helped at the moment.
>
> Everything on the linux machine is set up for DHCP.  i just can't get
> out of my lan.  any ideas?
>
> thx!
>
> Ryan
> -