question on Linux

"Kalyan Vaidyanathan" <kalyan_v at hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>   I found your name in the Boston Linux User group.  I am trying to find
> somebody to talk to regarding setting up Linux on my home computer.
>   I would like to setup a dual boot with linux and windows Millenium
> edition.  Do they peacefully co-exist on a single harddrive?
>   Secondly, which version of Linux would you recommend - Redhat, Mandrake,
> Suse etc.  what are the things I should look out for?
>
> if you are not the right person for this info, would you be able to give me
> a pointer to a valid discussion group to whom I can email this question?

I know earlier versions of Windows work fine in dual-boot systems; I assume
Windows Me will work fine as well.

All the Linux distributions you mention are good choices; while each is
put
together by different groups, the underlying components are all the same,
and
applications generally run on any of them. My personal preference is
Redhat.

We hold Installfests periodically; we meet at Mount Ida College in Newton
all day on a Saturday, where people bring in their PCs and volunteers help
them install Linux. Our next Installfest hasn't been scheduled yet, though.

Our discussion group is "discuss at blu.org"; to join it, send an email message
to "discuss-request at blu.org" with a blank subject line, and the command

    subscribe discuss

in the message body.