Help! Linux won't boot and my nephew is coming for dinner!

So, what did you do and did it work?  I'm dying to find out how the story
ends.

I'm pretty sure you need the initrd parameter and file in /boot.  For SCSI
with most distributions, the module containing the SCSI driver isn't linked
in with the kernel file.  So there there needs to be some way to load it
from the SCSI disk so the kernel can use it.  That's where initrd comes in...

-