MediaOne/RR/AT&T cablemodemers alert

On 2 Oct 2001, Derek Atkins wrote:

> David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> writes:
>
> > On 2 Oct 2001, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >
> > > Setting up a caching-only nameserver requires you to:
> > > 	1) install the nameserver binary (this is easy under RedHat and Debian)
> >
> > You mean bind?
>
> Well, bind is one possibility, yes -- there are others.
>
> > > 	2) run the nameserver
> > > 	3) set resolv.conf to point to 127.0.0.1
> > >
> > > I would highly recommend you do this.
> >
> > But how does the nameserver know how to lookup names?  /etc/resolv.conf?
>
> The nameserver comes with all the necessary files to lookup names on
> its own -- in particular, the list of root nameservers.  That's all it
> needs.  The file /etc/resolv.conf tells your applications how to resolve
> names.
>
> > My linux box would not itself be using the nameserver running on it,
> > right?
>
> You can run bind without changing /etc/resolv.conf, if you wish
> (although I don't know WHY you would want to do that).

If you're running a DHCP client (e.g. pump), your DHCP client will
overwrite your resolve.conf each time it initializes.  Depending on the
DHCP client you use, there are different strategies you can use to deal
with this.

Recent Red Hat distro's use pump.  You can modify your network startup
script such that pump is called with it's --no-dns option (don't update
resolve.conf).  Now of course, if your ISP switches stuff around on you,
you're hosed.

Personally, I just tweak my resolve.conf manually now and again.  It's a
small annoyance, but I figure it's good for my karmic goodness.  Kind of
like the Pink Panther hiring Kato to unexpectedly attack him in his own
home.  Keeps you on your toes.

-Ron-

  If you don't

--