2 GiB file limit and pipes

How about cp -R or rsync;
rsync [ options ] <source> <target>
I normally use this accross systems, but try:

rsync [ options ] /old_volume_root new_volume_root
This will copy old_volume_root including the name of the directory to
new_volume_root.
rsync [ options ] /old_volume_root/ new_volume_root
This will copy the contents of old_volume_root to new_volume_root
without copying the directory itself.

rsync -az tarnhelm:/home/gaf asgard:/home/gaf
This will copy my home directory and contents from Tarnhelm to Asgard,
and will create /home/gaf/gaf
rsync -az tarnhelm:/home/gaf/ asgard:/home/gaf
This will copy my home directory and contents from Tarnhelm to Asgard,
but will not create the additions gaf directory.
Depending on the options you can use this to keep two directories in
sync.