Amazon: Linux saved us millions

IBM used to target the top management. But the decision makers are
frequently the IT department managers, such as the CTO or the IT VP.
Also, the IT department people themselves chose Windows.
Reason:
1. they can force everyone in the company to use the same email
program, Outlook or Outlook express because it works better with their
[mis]exchange servers.
2. They can force everyone to use the same office tools, such as Office
2000 or Office XP.

There is the mistaken thought that because most everyone uses
Windows on the desktop that they can save money by using Windows
based servers, and use the same people to manage the servers as
manage the desktop systems.

While I must have 2 systems on my desk because one is on a private
net, the other must be Windows because of the mandate.
IBM wrote the book on technical marketing. They sold a piece of junk
called the System 360 which ran some horrible operating systems.
But, one thing that IBM did do was to support their customers.

We've seen lately comments that AOL won't support XP or that AT&T BB
won't support XP. That's mostly FUD. What they really mean is that
there is not enough installed base to justify full support. As they get thier
people trained and get the cookbooks ready they'll support XP. That also
does not mean they won't run it.
On 1 Nov 2001, at 16:18, John Abreau wrote:

> Perhaps "dummys" is a bit harsh. I'd say it's more a case that Microsoft's
> marketing strategy is explicitly aimed at excluding from the technology
> decision-making process the people most qualified to make technology
> decisions, i.e. the IT department. CEOs are perhaps the *least* qualified
> to make these decisions, so of course Microsoft targets their marketing
> efforts at CEOs.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group