Suppressing logins

Jerry Feldman wrote:

> As a long time Unix user, I can't conceive of a system where logins are not used.
>
> At the installfest, Pamela King wanted to know if there was a way to suppress the need for a login.
> (I know that I can write a replacement for login and getty) I don't know of a simple way to configure
> a Linux system not to require a login. I know that Pamela and many other Windows and Mac
> people don't understand what a login is, and the concept of a priviledged user vs. a regular user.

This can be done very simply - but as Derek mentioned each user can not
customize their own settings.

Just modify the inittab file to make run level 5 the default and
also modify run level 5 entry as follows:

# start X session for user generic
x:5:respawn:su --command="/usr/X11R6/bin/startx" - generic

This will cause the box to run startx as user generic at boot
and rerun it if the user logs out, X crashes etc.  You need to
create an account for "generic" - I recommend setting the
password field in /etc/shadow to a single character to prevent
anyone from logging into the box as the user. You also will
need to create the .xinitrc file and any customizations for
the Window Manager you choose for user guest.

There is also a lot more that could be done to a system
that is wide open like this to prevent someone from
accidently breeaking something.

--

Tom Guilderson
Applied Technology Team