x86 Assembly resources

I have been writing assembler for years on several different platforms and
I co-wrote the assembler for Windows NT/Alpha which is now used in Cmpaq's
TRU64. Assembly language has a couple of different aspects. First, you have
the machine language instruction set. But, you also have features, such as
directives which can be very specific to the assembler. If you are
interested in learning the raw x86 architecture,  then there is a Linux
assembler available. You can also generate assembly code from C and look at
the generated code. Frequently, I'll prototype something in a high level
language, generate assembly then suqash it down into the specific code I
want.
x86 also has some major differences. In DOS, you could program in 16 or 32
bit mode. (even the C compilers supported these modes because pointers
could be 16 or 32 bit).

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group