Cable Modems

Some cable companies did allow higher bandwidth. A friend of mine near rochester. NY on RR did
have a full 10Mbps bandwidth on cable. There are several reasons that cable providers limit the
bandwidth. One is to prevent single users from taking up all the available bandwidth. Another is
for marketing where they can segment the market and provide higher bandwidths at a premium.

On the upline side, the limit is usually with the cable plant itself. The repeaters themselves are
very limited.

Some of the former @home users have been complainig that AT&T has reduced their bandwidth
since AT&T is limiting the bandwidth to 1.5Mbps.