large file problem in rh7.1

Ken Gosier wrote:
> Hi, I have a large (80 MB) mp3 on my rh7.1 system , and it keeps giving me
> problems.

not trying to play "mine's bigger than yours," but 80MB isn't a big
file -- I deal with files ~1GB daily on machines from RH60 to RH72,
and there's no problem.

> If I try to gzip, compress, cp, rcp, ftp, basically do anything with it, I
> get back 'Input/output error', after about 50 MB of the activity is
> completed.

Sounds like a filesystem glitch to me.  When I see the I/O error
message it's usually something like that.  Have you checked the system
logs for other messages related to this problem?

I'd also try just reading the file and not writing anything (e.g. 'wc
80mbfile'); I'd expect the same error.  If that's the case you might
try fscking the partition (as usual, make sure it's not in use mounted
r/w when you do this).  If it's just a filesystem glitch this could
solve it.

If that doesn't work it could even be some problems with those blocks
on disk.  After trying the usual fsck, you can run 'e2fsck -c' to
detect and mark off bad blocks.

BTW: I'm assuming that the filesystem it's complaining about is on
your local hard disk, and not elsewhere (e.g. nfs mounted)?

--grg