attbi port blockage (DNS & attbi)

That is true. My old host name (gaf.ne.mediaone.net) is still being DNS served, but pointing at the
wrong address. The last time I had an ip address change when my segment was renumbered, it
took a week or so before that caught up. I don't particularly mund using the mac address host
name, because I can just as easily either get my own domain name or assign it a blu.org name
like John does.
BTW: I have fetchmail fetching both my mediaone.net and my attbi.com email addresses, and
there has been a relatively few glitches. One of the main reasons I used my local address was
because the mediaone POP3 server was unreliable and slow.
On 4 Mar 2002 at 12:09, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> >As you can see below, you are also DNS served as
> >h00a0cc577ea7.ne.client2.attbi.com
> >
> >asgard.blu.org [1] dig h00a0cc577ea7.ne.client2.attbi.com

>  What is interesting though is that if you do a reverse lookup
> (use the IP address to find hostname), the old (mediaone names) are
> still being served.  I wonder if they'll remember to change that
> before the final cutover.  People used to do reverse/forward lookups
> and compare as a way to do hostname based authentication for network
> security.  That's not done much anymore, but it might still cause
> problems for a few people...

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group