Singing the praises of Speakeasy [was Re: unblock port 80]

Peter R. Wood (Lists) wrote:
>  From what I've heard, Speakeasy.net DSL is pretty good about letting
> you run servers.  I would subscribe to them if I didn't live so far away
> from my CO.

Yes, they are - their TOS even says so! Here's what it says (excerpted
from http://www.speakeasy.net/main.php?page=bus_dsltos). Although that
page claims to be the business services TOS, it also applies to
residential services. (Some differences between business and residential
services are noted in the full document.)

Speakeasy believes in the right of the individual to publish information
they feel is important to the world via the Internet. Unlike many ISP's,
Speakeasy allows customers to run servers (web, mail, etc.) over their
Internet connections.

Any service that causes a disruption in the network integrity of
Speakeasy or its vendors, whether directly or indirectly, is strictly
prohibited and could result in termination of service. This may include
but is not limited to: IRC servers, adult-content servers, bots,
webpages hosted on any Speakeasy servers, or servers connected to a
Speakeasy provided Internet connection. Speakeasy reserves the right of
final discretion.

You are ultimately responsible for any and all activity that originates
from your Internet circuit regardless of your knowledge of such
activity. This includes but is not limited to activity by other
household members, friends and guests. This also applies to security
breaches of your own system by others who launch attacks from your
machine. It is absolutely imperative that everyone with an Internet
connection take proper precautions to ensure the security of their machine.

In other words, don't be a pig, don't break the system, and if you break
the law by using your internet connection or get cracked over it, it's
your problem, not Speakeasy's problem. I can deal with that.

The TOS doesn't specifically mention NAT, but it does contain this language:

Each circuit may only service a single location (residence, apartment,
office, or place of business). If you connect your circuit to a
neighboring premise without specific permission from Speakeasy, your
service may be disconnected or terminated at our sole discretion.

That's one LOCATION, not one COMPUTER. And their site tells you how to
configure broadband gateways. So they're clearly OK as well.

By the way, if anybody DOES want to sign up with Speakeasy, and feels
like being nice to me, they can go by way of
http://www.speakeasy.net/refer/mdulcey - I get a rebate on our service,
and you pay nothing extra.

Mark Dulcey
satisfied Speakeasy customer