compaq Prosignia 500

Here's a HOWTO from Compaq that might be helpful.  The
short version is that you probably have to use a
Compaq
utility to setup the drives on the array controller
before the Linux install can see them.  The pdf
mentions
an Array Configuration Utility on the SmartStart CD.
I'd check with the employer and see if anyone has a
spare SmartStart laying around.

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/linux/15j1-0102c-wwen.pdf

Good Luck!
Gordon