RealVideo/Audio on RH7.2 / kernel 2.4

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 10:17:53PM -0500, Robert La Ferla wrote:

> What free and/or opensource options are available for serving real video
> / real audio content on Linux 2.4?  Even if it's basic, it's okay.  The
> Basic Server from RealNetworks works on the 2.2 kernel and expires after
> 12 months so that doesn't work.

Why real?  I'd recommend icecast for streaming audio.  The stable release
streams mpeg, the CVS version will do ogg.

http://www.icecast.org/

Apple's entry, the Darwin streaming server, is also worth mentioning.  It's
released under the APSL (which has been modified since the FSF's initial
objections).

http://www.publicsource.apple.com/projects/streaming/

I don't bother with streaming video over IP, as I already have a wireless
video setup.

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\