Linux standards

John,
I'm surprised at you. You know that we Unix developers never need to test
our code :-).
Actually, for a target type of install, the test/validation should be
performed as part of the install procedure. For an automated procedure
under a package manager, test and validation could be done as separate and
disjoint steps. Also, some applications don't lend themselves to scripted
testing. An example would be a graphical email program. Once could add some
non-graphical test hooks into the code. Validation could always be done.
Prevalidation before the code is moved to the target, post validation after
the move. And even a user level validation suite.