How to best do zillions of little files?

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 10:53:58AM -0400, Scott Prive wrote:
> I haven't done a bit of work in this area, but I have read how the embedded and floppy Linux systems work: they conserve space (other filesystem reasons also?) by creating a monolithic file that handles everything, and just create links from the "files" to the file that has everything.

Sounds like a DBMS :-).

At the risk of apostasy... have you tried this with commercial DBMSes
or only free ones?

There are many ways to make DBMSes a slow solution, including bad design
of the database, naive management of connections and other resources, and
failure to do routine DB maintenance. A well designed and administered
DBMS solution should do very well on this sort of problem.

Nathan Meyers
nmeyers at javalinux.net