Crash Recovery in RedHat Linux

Do those other files & icons WORK as the "other" (normal) user?

If so, you MIGHT have escaped serious damage, at least with those files (you could have messed up other core system config files however). Repair or copy your .config files at your own peril -- you're not supposed to run as root (especially X).

If you do run X as root anyways (or even if you don't), consider investing in a UPS. Linux is not immune to crashes caused by fluctuating voltage and power supplies. My old Abit-BP6 motherboard was sweet, but I had some stability problems until I got a UPS. Even a "cheap" $60 UPS is a big help.

-Scott