Request for assistance, somewhat off topic

Mark Glassberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 03:29:15PM -0500, Mark J. Dulcey wrote:
>
>>Unless you have already reformatted the laptop, the long names should still
>>be intact there.
>

> Of course, I did reformat.  For future reference, are the hidden files
> visible to linux if the system is mounted as fat?  If so, how could I
> have used tar to capture them?

The long filenames are visible (and the short ones are not) if you mount as VFAT, but not if you mount as FAT. tar will automatically store them without any further ado.

Most mainstream distributions do the right thing automatically, but rescue disks may not.