How to zero out a file in tcsh?

John,
You and I have extensive experience with most of the Unix shells. The
cat command is a standard Unix/Linux command. /dev/null is universal in
all Unix and variants. And, all Unix file systems work on the same basic
concept from a user and API standpoint. (Under the covers there are
significant differences).
The process overhead in Unix and Linux is relatively small, and with
virtual memory, there is a good chance that the cat command may already
be memory resident. Unix and Linux have a large number of small
commands. Because of that and because of virtual memory there has been a
lot of work on reducing the overhead. I maintain that the additional
overhead of loading an external command like cat is insignificant when
compared to the savings of using a shell builtin. The shell may have to
page in the echo command.