Install on Dell PowerEdge w/ RAID 5

I am trying to install Slackware 8.1 on an older Dell PowerEdge server
(4100).  There are two SCSI controllers in the server, an on-board
Adaptec 7860 driving the local drives and a 7880 in a PCI slot driving
the RAID.  The RAID array is 4 9gb SCSI drives in a RAID 5 array, set
up to look like one 27GB drive.

I am starting from a boot disk with adaptec drivers and I see both
cards recognized during boot.  The SCSI CD-ROM tied to the on-board
controller is also recognized though I haven't tried to mount it yet --
but it finds the drive brand, ID, etc.

My problem is that the RAID drives seem to disappear.  Or maybe they
are there but I don't know where to look.  Should I see them as sda?
md0 (or is that only for software raid)?  Something else?  Is there a
different set of names for the drives on a second scsi controller?  sda
is not even in /dev.  Or do I have to do something special to get the
kernel to see these drives?  I'm sort of assuming not, as they should
just look like one big SCSI drive to the kernel.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

 Tom Rawson