[blu.org] Sharp Zaurus Deal Discovered!!!!!

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 10:49 am, Duane Morin wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Mark J. Dulcey wrote:
> > The amount of memory isn't all that important, since the thing has CF
> > and SD memory slots. Flash memory is cheap; you can buy a 256MB CF card
> > for $50 (after rebate) from Tiger right now. The 5500 specs claim 64MB
> > SDRAM and 16MB flash ROM. The 5600 claims 32MB SDRAM and 64MB "protected
> > flash".
>
> I disagree just a bit on the importance of memory.  Without some serious
> tweaking, most apps will not allow themselves to be installed on CF or SD.
> That means that you may have effectively infinite data storage, but your
> choice of programs to keep installed is limited.  Unless that limitation
> was changed in either Opie or the 5600.

I don't see why you say that.  If you put an ext2 SD card in a Z, you can
install packages with "ipkg" to the SD card, and call "ipkg-link" to create
the symlinks for you.

I had a little trouble with the TheKompany apps, but that was because I didn't
install the packages in the right order.  I haven't found an app since that
did not work installed on my SD card.  Have you?  Which ones?

It is true that SD is slower though.  If I had a choice of storing my data on
a device that was slow but persistent vs fast but a reboot wipes it out, I
would usually go for slow but persistent.  Personal choice.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "You see?  Not only is there a divine,
DK KD   it has a twisted sense of humor."
DDDD                                             Rev Bem, Andromeda