D-Link firewall with Linux

> A while back, I got a Linksys cable/dsl router, and I was never  able
> to  get  it  to  work,  either.   I  followed  the  instructions  for
> configuring it via a browser,  but  I  was  never  able  to  get  any
> response from it at all. I did see a number of blinking lights when I
> typed commands, but it just wouldn't talk to the browsers  on  either
> my linux or my wife's windoze boxes.

I have always wondered what sort of components these companies use in this
consumer-grade hardware. I have heard stories about most every kind of box
having problems, but the problems are not consistent from one box to
another, which leads me to believe that there may be poorly manufactured
parts inside. Or perhaps they all run on WinCE ;-).
Grant M.