Alsa/Thinkpad/No such dsp device?

At 10:06 AM 5/10/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>You've tried running aumix?

"error opening mixer".  More specifically, aumix by itself just returns me
to the command line.  aumix -q tells me error opening mixer.

 >You clearly do not understand /proc...

And people wonder why everybody thinks Linux people are rude.  Obviously
I don't understand it, you're right. But you'll note that I simply provided it
as information, I didn't say "Wow, yeah, this must be it!"  Look at it
from my side -- it's a directory, and *some* stuff in /proc you can cat, so
I find
it reasonable to presume that perhaps there is a file in there that should have
something in it that doesn't.

 > crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     116,  33 May 10 09:46 timer

>These are not lengths; these are device numbers.  116,0; 116,24;
>116,16; 116,33 Perfectly normal for a character device (see that 'c'
>at the beginning of the line??)

Okey doke.  So I'm trying to learn -- does that mean that something /proc that
does not have "x,y" where length should be must have not been assigned a
device number?  Why are there two different numbers?  What exactly does it
mean for the device number to be 0?

Duane