D'oh! moments

Another option for this particular
"I-don't-want-to-run-this-on-my-server" command is
to use the semi-documented "/sbin/ifdown-pre-local"
script that Christoph stumbled on a while back.
This is a script that the "ifdown" command calls
before actually taking the interface down.  It's not
part of the initscripts package (which ifup/ifdown
are) so it won't get clobbered by patches/upgrades.
You could create a file called
"/sbin/ifdown-pre-local" and inside have something
like:

    #!/bin/bash

    echo " ********** "
    echo " WARNING  "
    echo " ********** "
    echo
    echo " You are about to bring down a network"
    echo " interface on "`hostname`
    echo
    echo " If this is not what you intended,"
    echo " press ^C now, otherwise press <ENTER>."
    echo
    read $resp
    exit

And yes, there is a companion "/sbin/ifup-pre-local"
which we have found useful for setting the
speed/duplex of an interface with mii-tool as it is
brought online.

Gordon Keegan