setting up remote printing

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 12:58, John Chambers wrote:

> Dunno if Debian is the same, but on RedHat you can create a
> /etc/hosts.lpd file and fill it in with the IP addresses of
> machines that are allowed to use the  printer.

And -dsr- suggested that I look at hosts_access.  Applying everyone's
suggestions, I now have:...

petunia:/var/log# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.1.4	petunia.ropine.com	petunia
192.168.1.12    belladonna-wired
192.168.1.13    belladonna-wireless     belladonna

# ...
petunia:/var/log# cat /etc/hosts.lpd
belladonna-wired.ropine.com root
belladonna-wired.ropine.com sethg
belladonna-wireless.ropine.com root
belladonna-wireless.ropine.com sethg
petunia:/var/log# cat /etc/hosts.allow
# ...
ALL: 192.168.1.
petunia:/var/log# cat /etc/hosts.deny
# ...
ALL: ALL
petunia:/var/log# lpc status
lp:
	queuing is enabled
	printing is enabled
	no entries
	no daemon present

After restarting lpd on the server and trying again to print from the
laptop, I get an error message which only became visible when I selected
the line containing "/usr/sbin/lpd":

sethg at belladonna:~$ lpq
belladonna: waiting for queue to be enabled on petunia
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    sethg      1    test.txt                              15 bytes
2nd    sethg      2    test.txt                              15 bytes

petunia: /usr/sbin/lpd: ????:sd=: Your host does not have line printer
access

Curiouser and curiouser!

--
"[I]n Perl culture, almost nothing is prohibited.  My feeling is that
the