SSH X11 Forwarding...

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 01:31:13PM -0400, ron.peterson at yellowbank.com wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 01:35:22PM -0700, Wizard wrote:
>
> > While we're discussing SSH, I'm trying to implement X11 Fowarding on a
> > Solaris 9 box, but can't seem to get it working. I can set my display under
> > telnet and X is redirected to my SGI box, but when I login using SSH, the
> > server errors with something like "Can't find display: " and there is no
> > display set. 1.) How do I set the display (I would guess 'setenv DISPLAY
> > ip:disp', as in telnet), and more importantly, 2.) What do I set it to
> > (obviously the IP won't work)?
>
> Might have nothing to do w/ ssh, per se - it might be an X Window System
> authorization issue.

If the DISPLAY variable isn't set, then forwarding wasn't set up for
this connection. Both client and server can choose whether or not to
enable forwarding in their respective config files - you can override
client behavior with the -X option, but you probably need to change the
server setup on the machine you're ssh-ing to.

Nathan