Just got mine (Re: Comcast and cable modems

I am looking at my new Comcast modem.  it is a Motorola Surfboard SB4220.

The instructions say:

Step 3:  Connect the new power cord, reattach the cable line and Ethernet
cord to the new modem.  Note that the USB connection cable and CD included
in teh packaging are not needed in this replacement process.  While your
new modem may be connected to your PC by means of EITHEr a USB or Ethernet
connection, it is recommended that you continue to use the Ethernet
connection to connect your new modem to your PC.

Hope that clears it up, and hope that's good news.  Sounds like it.  I'll
probably try hooking it up tomorrow.  There does appear to be a
registration process where you have to hit their web site and connect your
modem to your account number, which looks .. interesting.

Duane