Comcrap

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:59:48AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:35:34 -0400
> David Lapointe <d.lapointe at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > At http://online.comcast.net/connect/manual.asp
> >
> > there are manual instructions.  However if your email ID was changed
> > you need to know that.
> >
> > Also I didn't get vectored to my new web page. "The URL for the page
> > has changed. Please blah blah blah...."
> >

> > On Monday 30 June 2003 12:55 am, Robert La Ferla wrote:
> > > It's 6/30 and there are no instructions on the Comcast site for
> > > Linux users.  However, I'm having trouble with nntp so I suspect
> > > that they have switched servers.   Why they had to hide the
> > > transition information from us is beyond me.  They could have
> > > handled this more gracefully. Anyone have details on how to switch?
> I was able to check my email on the Comcast web site. They did set up
> the forwarding. The only real issue now is to set up fetchmail to do ssl
> (RTFM). But, my blu.org email comes directly to my mail server and not
> Comcast's. I think before we pass judgement, let's see if we can get our
> Linux tools set up properly.

poll mail.comcast.net with proto POP3
       user "XXXXXXXXXXXXX" there with password "YYYYYYYYYYY" is ZZZZZZZZZZZZ here warnings 60
       fetchall
       ssl

SSL works with the comcast server just as it did with AT&T's. Comcast may
not have the best outreach to Linux users, but they didn't do anything (as
far as I can tell) to mess us up. We sure do like to kvetch, though :-).

Nathan Meyers
nmeyers at javalinux.net