Stubborn Processes

> Or zombie processes.

Thanks for the reply.  <defunct> does not appear in the process list, so I
don't believe they are zombie.

I'd still like to understand the conditions required and the mechanism to
make a process resistant to being killed by root.

I'm still waiting on ps -elf | grep <processname> and strace from the
client.  I was running strace myself against my own copy of the appserver,
and I actually never saw it output any data even when handling requests.
Whenever I use truss on solaris it outputs with much verbosity, so I
thought perhaps I was stracing incorrectly. Here's what I got after
attaching strace to the parent process of the server, then making some
requests, and then CTRL-C:

[root at merlot /root]# strace -p 11988
pause(
 <unfinished ...>
[root at merlot /root]#

Is this right?  Should I use a different combinary of switches?

Thanks,
Steven Erat