Linux-friendly ISPs?

   From: "Amy E. Brown" <prayer_tree at yahoo.com>
   Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:43:34 -0700 (PDT)

   Which ISPs with Boston-area access numbers are Linux-friendly AND
   stable?  My current ISP can't deal with anything other than Windows
   and IE. I'm only looking at dial-up at this point. Thanks for any
   pointers.

Speakeasy provides dialup services in addition to DSL.  For most
regulars here, that answer should suffice :-)

Speakeasy's DSL service (which I use) is rock solid; the company is
very Linux (and server) friendly; the AUP basically amounts to "don't
do anything stupid or interfere with others".  If you do decide to go
broadband at some point, note that not only does Speakeasy not object
to sharing or reselling service, but if you want to resell service
they're willing to handle the billing for you for a split of the take
(or you can do the billing yourself or not, as you please).  I mention
this simply because it demonstrates their general attitude.

Their tech support is excellent; I only used it once at the very
beginning because I misunderstood how ADSL worked.  The gentleman on
the phone knew exactly what he was talking about, and answered
questions directly rather than reading from a script.  That enabled me
to place an order on the spot :-)

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton