digital cameras

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 15:39, dan moylan wrote:
> my original posting:
> > i recently acquired a sony dsc-u30 digital camera, and see
> > no support from gphoto2 or photopc (which worked fine with
> > my olympus d340r).  i tried gphoto2 for all the sony
> > models it did support (which did not include the dsc-u30),
> > but none seemed to work.  a modestly diligent web search
> > yielded nothing worthwhile.
>
> helpful queries from blu discussion, elicited that:
>
> rpm -q hotplug gives:
>   hotplug-2002_04_01-3
>
> dmesg shows:
>   hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
>   usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x54c/0x10) is not claimed by any active driver.
>
> when the camera is plugged in, and
>
>   usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
>
> when it is unplugged, indicating, i presume, that hotplug is
> doing its thing.
>
> this line is in fstab:
>   /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb1 vfat user,sync,noauto,umask=0 0 0
>
> but "mount /mnt/usb1" gives:
>   mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
>
> there is no mention of scsi sda anywhere at anytime in
> dmesg, so there seems to be a disconnect there.  exactly
> what function/module is supposed to attach the usb device
> to sda1?  what active driver should be claiming the USB
> device?
>
> am i missing some other essential module?

Dan,

Your camera definitely uses the USB-Storage module for support.  I did a
search for the USB Device ID in your dmesg output there, and that device
is actually the example device used here:

http://www.linux.com/howtos/USB-Digital-Camera-HOWTO/c249.shtml

The "Is not claimed by any active driver" message means that the
appropriate driver isn't loaded.

USB Storage uses SCSI emulation, so make sure that you have the
following modules loaded:

scsi_mod	(The SCSI Subsystem)
sd_mod		(SCSI Disk Support)
usb-storage	(USB
vfat		(fat filesystem)

If you still can't get it working, try upgrading the kernel.  Redhat has
provided several errata kernels since 2.4.18-3 was released, including
fixes for 2 local root exploits, so an update wouldn't be a bad idea
anyways.

--
Greg