the linux networking utilities hate me

Maybe this will help?

route add default gw 192.168.1.245

I problems with Suse where it couldn't find the correct router/gateway
after activating the wireless card on my laptop.  Typing this in seemed
to fix it.  I don't have this problem with Red Hat for some reason.
Perhaps router discovery is better on Red Hat?  On other Unix's I had to
put the router IP in the /etc/defaultrouter file.

Just to add a detail:  If you're using a Cable/DSL router box and a
Access Point with separate IPs the gateway IP is the router box.