When X does....nothing.

I'm back.  Long story short I just lost a week's worth of config work by
trashing my hard drive.  D'oh.  Now I'm back up with a dedicated Fedora
build (instead of the previous semi update).

I have the latest NVidia drivers.  X boots...I get a flash of NVidia logo,
then blank screen, with X cursor that I can move at will.

But that's it.  It never goes anywhere.  If I do "X --verbose", the last
thing I see is XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Kernel Inptu
handler" (type other).

So what I'm wondering is, maybe it's not an NVidia thing at all, maybe X
is just sitting there and waiting infinitely because it's supposed to be
doing something next and can't.

If it's any more information, when I try to get into gnome I get the
Fedora splash box, but then none of the little icons that usually
represent the starting services.

So what's supposed to be the first service that it starts?

Thanks!!!

Duane