Forgotten root password

Derek Martin said on 4/10/2004 12:10 AM:

> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 11:11:11PM -0400, Drew Taylor wrote:
>
>>I'm resurrecting an old RH 7.3 box and I've forgotten the root password.
>>:-( In addition, I seem to have tossed the old install discs I burned as
>>well. I have a non-root login I remember so I can log into the system.
>>But I can't upgrade apache/perl/etc. What are my options?
>

> The boot loader you have on that machine is probably LILO.  At the
> Linux prompt, boot to single user mode by typing this:
>
>   linux s

Thanks. Mark also mentioned this tip.

> This will boot the system minimally and give you a root shell.  You
> can basically do what you want from here.  That is, assuming you did
> not set a password in the boot loader to prevent this kind of access
> from being easy...

Nah, I'm not that sophisticated a sysadmin. :-)

>>PS. At some point I'll probably upgrade to Fedora Core or Debian (via
>>Knoppix I think). I also understand about vulnerabilities in such an old
>>release and the box is 100% not accessible from the outside.
>

> Well, my advice is don't put off until tomorrow what you really ought
> to do today...  If you have this kind of situation, you really should
> just upgrade the box before you do anything else.  That'll solve your
> root access problem.

I'm downloading the Fedora ISO images right now. Thank goodness for
Comcast's upgrade. The first disc maxed out at 345KB/sec, and the other
two are simultaneous at 140KB/sec. :-) Thanks for the advice. Sometimes
you just need a kick in the pants to get things done.

Now, to find a quiet hard disk to replace the very noisy (but
functioning) 3x4GB Seagate SCSI disks. I added an IDE controller a while
back for good measure too.

Drew
Drew Taylor          *  Web app development & consulting
drew at drewtaylor.com  *  Site implementation & hosting
www.drewtaylor.com   *  perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres