Lexar Media USB - Success

On Sat, 01 May 2004 08:45:20 -0400
edwardp at operamail.com wrote:

> David,
>
> Thanks for the tip on /etc/fstab.  I learned the device would not
> mount initially if a memory card is not inserted before bootup.  If
> it's inserted after bootup, it also would not mount.  The memory card
> must be inserted -before- bootup for the device to mount.
>
> 1.  Memory card (xD) was inserted with device plugged into USB, and
> system booted.
>
> 2.  As root, I created a desktop shortcut (via Create New - Floppy
> Device) pointing to /dev/sda1 which was listed in /etc/fstab.
>
> 3.  Opened shortcut, received an error that the device was not
> mounted.  Right-clicked icon, selected Mount, device mounted.
>
> 4.  Opened shortcut again, directory displayed correctly.
>
> 5.  As I do not do anything as root except for Online Update, I
> deleted the shortcut that was created.
>
> 6.  Logged out and logged in as a regular user.  When the desktop
> appeared, a new icon labeled sda1 automatically appeared, was mounted,
> and accessible.
>
> Device:       /dev/sda1
>
> Mount Point:  /media/sda1

A couple of points to remember:
You can mount the USB device onto any directory in the tree. You can
also, place and entry in /etc/fstab and easily mount it as a user by
hand rather than by icon.

Another pointer, before physically removing the device, unmount the
device. Linux buffers stuff, and by physically removing the device after
using it, before you unmount it, you could lose some data. Before we had
mtools, I used to store the BCS firewall stuff on a diskette from the
Linux system. Frequently I forgot to unmount, and frequently I got
burned, and always it was my own damn fault because I knew better.

Example:
umount /media/sda1

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>