Laptop recommendations

I can't say I'm thrilled with my Dell Inspiron 5150.  I'm no guru when it
comes to the adminny stuff (as my questions to this list will attest), but
I have never gotten acceptable resolution on the following:
	- ACPI versus APM.  I get hangs when I try using ACPI.  Shuold I
be able to make this thing sleep or not?
	- Sound.  Although it appears to work I will often and
unpredictably get "device or resource busy", even when I have freshly
booted the machine and run no new apps
	- heat.  The thing runs amazingly hot, to the point where I wonder
if my fans are working properly (although they are, I can hear them).
	- video.  Although I have the nvidia driver and it works, I dont
love having to recompile and install it everytime I change kernels :).
	- lockups.  Originally I had some lockups when I ended up
attributing to poorly seated memory.  Then, it was ACPI relatead things.
Lately I have had 2 spontaneous lockups after switching from my PCMCIA
wireless card to the USB.

Not to mention things like the keyboard layout is horrendous.  Who puts ~
way in the upper *right* corner among F12, Pause, and what appears to be a
windows menu key??

Duane