Grub on MBR just won't "take"

Have you successfully booted from this drive before with your system?

Maybe you've got a different problem masquerading as a grub problem.

Like.... maybe your drive breaks the ~32GB, ~137GB, or some other barrier your
drive controller can't handle.

And I like the other ideas people had about being sure you're booting the
drive you think you're booting. Try disconnecting the other drives
temporarily so there's no chance you're wrong about which drive is which.