howto: CVS server on FC2

I'm not a full-time admin, so I miss some of the stuff that a regular
admin would probably be aware of.  My recent upgrade to FC2 caught me by
surprise in a couple areas.  In particular, the former inetd server has
been superceeded by xinetd in Fedora Core 2 and the configuration file
format has completely changed.  You might not notice this at all, until
you try to setup a CVS server with remote access using the pserver method.

Even the online docs at cvshome.org mention the 'old' way of doing it.
So if you want to allow pserver access, you need something like this in
/etc/xinetd.d/pserver:

service cvspserver
{
 disable            = no
 socket_type    = stream
 wait                = no
 user                = cvs
 group              = cvs
 log_type          = FILE /var/log/cvspserver
 protocol          = tcp
 env                 = '$HOME=/home/cvsroot'
 log_on_failure  += USERID
 port                = 2401
 server             = /usr/bin/cvs
 server_args     = -f --allow-root=/usr/local/cvsrepo pserver
}

and while I'm at it, I might as well tell you that restarting xinetd is
as simple as
  /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
This little command is not mentioned frequently, but saves you from
having to reboot the machine after changes are made.  (I really hate
tutorials that say: "Then restart xinetd" with no mention of how to do
that.)

- Greg