Linux (and Windows) electronics experimenters

markw at mohawksoft.com wrote, On 10/30/2004 01:18 PM:
> I am thinking about making a hardware/software product that will allow you,
> the end user, to connect and control projects from your computer.
>
> With the popularity of USB printers, I am thinking that the old tried and
> true parallel port is a prime candidate for use.
>
> I want to make a small dongle sort of device that you plug into your
> computer's parallel port, it will have a number of digital input and output
> ports. I have a couple ideas about the programming API and software support
> set.
>
> This is not aimed at the high speed or overly complex data aquisition
> market. It is aimed at the home computer hobbiest, people building robots
> or car computers and such.
>
> Basically, if you saw this thing in an add in the back of some Linux rag, or
> popular electronics, or something, what would you like to see for features?
>
> Linux and Windows support?
> Easy - novice - interface?
> Advanced expert interface?
> Price range?
> Expandability?
> Build at home kit form?
> Web based community support?

There are a lot of tried-and-true ways of doing this, and some kits are out
there for doing it.  They fall into two categories: simple ones with just a
transistor on each line, and fully buffered ones with LED status on each.
Also some let you do input from the three input lines as well as output to the
8 output lines.  Some go one step further and put relays on each output.

For information on the variants out there, check out
Parallel Port Complete: Programming, Interfacing & Using the PC'S Parallel
Printer Port by Jan Axelson
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965081915/002-2904566-1751248?v=glance

Also see Controlling The World with Your PC by Paul Bergsman
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1878707159/002-2904566-1751248?v=glance

I have older editions of both of these books.  If you would like to look at
them at the installfest. let me know.

Other links:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Home-Electrical-Control.html
http://electronickits.com/kit/complete/elec/ck1601.htm
http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/elec/ck1621.htm
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/parallelport.html
http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/id364.htm

--
DDDD
DK KD  Yesterday's code should be as good as we could make it yesterday.