GRUB and large disk support

I haven't heard about problems like this with SUSE, although it could
possibly be a known issue.

How was linux / windows installed? Which went first? Did you:
a) partition with knoppix / fdisk
b) install Windows on NFTS partition
c) install SUSE on linux partitions, complete with grub?

At the end of Windows install, I *think* the install puts bootloader stuff
in the MBR as well as stuff at the beginning of the partition it claims as
C:

To the best of my knowledge, grub goes in MBR and replaces the Windows
boot loader stuff there, and the chainloader entry hops to the right part
of the c: partition to jumpstart the windows boot. By any chance did this
person first install windows across a single very large partition, then
shrink it to 50MB with some tool, and then install linux and break their
windows boot? I haven't had problems with the method I described. What
tool did they try that successfully shrank the partition?

Also, there's some trick about the makeactive line. I don't remember
the detail, but you _may_ need to toggle the active flag using fdisk
for the Windows XP partition (and therefore XP) to successfully boot.

You should get a helpful error message at the time when you can't reach
stage2, which I think is where grub processes the "chainloader" entry in
grub.conf

Here's how mine looks:
default 2
timeout 10