Recommended Distro for Web Applications

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> The main difference is that the enterprise editions come with a support
> agreement, are very stable. For instance RHEL 3 Update 3 contains the
> 2.4.21-27.0.2 kernel (I just installed one on an opteron and ran up2date).

Stability comes at a cost.  At work, we are in the process of trying to
set up a Subversion server on a Red Hat Enterprise 3 box.  We ran into
lots of trouble because RHEL3 comes with some very old software.  In fact
there are well-documented bugs in the particular Berkely DB they used in
that release that they refuse to upgrade because that wouldn't be
"stable".

In the end, we had to replace the Berkely DB and apache and one or two
other things.  Since there are no RHEL3 RPM's of later revision
software "floating around" as there are for other distros, we had to
compile from tarballs for some, and grab non-RHEL3 RPM's for others.
Either way, it's a mess.

If you want to play with Apache and all those languages, especially Mono,
my guess is you would be much better served with a distro that comes with
newer software.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  Python is executable pseudocode
DK KD  Perl is executable line noise
DDDD                                                             Bruce Eckel