What's the state of Palm<->Linux these days?

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 02:55:17PM -0400, Kent Borg wrote:
> I have two Palm Pilots these days, both are happy to IR sync to my old
> Sony notebook and jpilot, but I haven't figured how to make them work
> with my new notebook.  (New notebook has no IR, a Sigmatel IR dongle
> is recognized as an IRDA device, but I can't figure out how to turn it
> into a suitable character device for jpilot to talk to.)

Did you try looking at the output of dmesg?  Often the kernel will
tell you what the device name is when it probes the hardware.

> Why do I have two Palms?  One is also my phone, but it makes
> mysterious 10-second data calls on its own; I don't trust it.

Yeah, I'd be concerned too.  Did you ask the company about this?
Seems like a good reason not to use it...

> The second is a cheap Zire 31 that I keep mostly incommunicado so I
> can trust it to keep all my passwords--encrypted with Gnu Keyring.

FWIW, the new name is Keyring for PalmOS.  Not very catchy if you ask
me...

> I can backup it with an SD card.

I can't understand why engineers have a reputation for writing English
poorly...

-=-=-=-=-