Encrypted filesystems

Not all encrypted filesystems require a kernel recompile.  There's a
number of encrypted loopback filesystems natively in the 2.6 kernel
(e.g. LOOP_AES).  For something like a pen drive this might actually
be a good thing.

For my personal stuff I've been playing with cryptfs.  The nice thing
about cryptfs is that it sits in the VFS stack and dynamically expands
the backend disk usage to fit my usage.  Unfortunately I suspect this
falls into the "mostly working but abandoned" category; I needed to
make a few changes to get it to work on 2.6.11.  However, it's an LKM
and does not require a kernel recompile.

YMMV,

-derek