Alsa sound devices on Debian

Two things you should need:
1) the alsa drivers should get loaded
2) your alsa service should restore the right volume levels

Are you starting up an alsa service at boot?

My gentoo box has a service called alsasound that among other things,
restores the mixer levels, which SHOULD persist through reboots. Mine are
saved in /etc/asound.state. When the service goes down during shutdown, it
saves the current settings to that file.

I recommend poking around your /etc/init.d and seeing if there's a similar
service you should enable.

If your drivers aren't getting loaded, you need to make changes in
/etc/modules.conf, or wherever your system expects you to put entries for

AND for what it's worth, the alsa stuff should be independent of KDE /
Gnome. To verify this, instead of a graphical login after you reboot, try
logging in to a tty and playing an mp3 or something.

--
David Backeberg (dave at math.mit.edu)
Network Staff Assistant