The $100 laptop closer to reality

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Gordon Marx wrote:

> On 29/09/05, Anthony Gabrielson <agabriel at home.tzo.org> wrote:
> > Since you only asked for one:
> > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/23/tech/main791462.shtml
>
> But it's not like the inherent "librariness" is gone...the books are
> still there. It's not like something is replacing it. Maybe I didn't
> understand your initial point.

Thats exactly what they are saying: "The fact is, there will be no more
books to restock."

They are turning the library into a social gathering place.  The article
even goes on to say that people are greiving over the loss of the library
and renaming it an academic center as a result.  They say that if an
undergrad needs access to a set of books that will be provided by the he
particular dept they are in; but there is no general undergrad library at
that university.

My orginal statement was that with advent of universities doing away with
libraries this, sub 100 laptop for everyone, seems logical.  Also the
google library project seems to feed this well.

Anthony