The $100 laptop closer to reality

On Thursday 29 September 2005 12:37 pm, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> The design of the $100 dollar laptops seems to defeat this
> automatically.  They have no local storage. (No hard drive, they boot
> off of a "Rom'med" Linux.
>
> These are, to some degree, "thin clients" :-)

True, but you know that won't last long. How would upgrades happen, I wonder,
long term?
What, with flash prices these days...
Sigh, the trouble I would have been in with a laptop in high school. I already
was in enough trouble with a dark room and studio to play in.

> Interesting. At my school(s) the professors would even xerox
> pre-publication drafts and use those for texts if the book they desired
> wasn't published in time.  Invariably the individual professors seemed
> highly involved in making the choices.  If more than one was teaching
> the same course (multiple sections) they would try to agree on one text.

Sounds great. Where was this? My father is in upstate New York.
At a local college here in Bo-town, there was a "copyright control" officer,
who made sure the licenses were up to snuff and copied things were on the up
and up, etc. It was amazing, you had to run things by this person to hand out
copies to students. No, I can't tell you the name of the school. I still work
for them sometimes.