The $100 laptop closer to reality

On Thursday 29 September 2005 05:56 pm, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> I am working on the laptop in the lab. I am not the official voice of
> the project by any means but if folks are interested, I could probably
> arrange for a talk at BLU or just an informal chat about these issues.

I'm sure many people would be very interested in this.

> There are folks in the lab who have been working on and building some
> of the best educational technology out there (things like Logo, Squeak
> and LEGO Minsdstorms) and we're trying to be very smart about how this
> is ultimately developed.

Logo, eh...Squeak, eh...Lego Mindstorms? Now we're talkin'.

> See above. Also remember that in the most of the developing world,
> governments develop their own text books. That introduces its own set
> of problems and limitation but in this regard, the United States is
> different from many or most.

I have to admit a certain interest in how MA and/or America uses these, if
ever. The third world is certainly interesting, but closer to home of course
means more to people who live here. There is much discussion on the Net about
these things eventually coming home.

I can certainly see a much easier time using these in some little village who
may have a few old books, and here comes durable, power-efficient laptops
with wifi and hand-cranks hooking up to the net for the first time, learning
from google...Posting about Gentoo vs. Debian.

> Comparing the achievements in science from the last 10-50 years with
> everything before hardly seems fair.

It's just important to realize that achievements were possible without
computers in kids hands...

> This project is not concieved of as a teacher replacement. You seem to
> be reading a lot into this decision to use laptops that I'm not sure
> is ultimately fair.

Well, there is always a certain amount of money in a school system.
Spending money on this would leave less in the budget for other things. Don't
you think it's a bit naive to think that teachers won't get hired to pay for
laptops AND infrastructure (which is something important to remember). Hey,
if someone is out there, doing the numbers, great. I just have helped run a
few small schools and there's always a crunch money-wise.

> Each of these issues is being discussed. There will be a large deal of
> qualifications and pilot projects to make sure that as many of these
> issues as possible are worked out. I think that's just good product
> development. :)

Awesome. I'll be glad to see someone besides armchair quarterbacks having a
goal in mind.