OT: Paypal's buyer-"protection" process

Time to vent a little more steam about eBay and Paypal...and perhaps get some
advice on how to respond.  The response sought by Paypal is for me to go to a
repair shop to get a written repair estimate.

My saga started with a purchase on 11/13 of a used Dell LCD monitor which
turned out to have two defects:  its sporadically shuts itself off, and it has
screen blemishes.  I asked the seller for a replacement or refund; he refused;
I decided to submit a buyer-protection claim (which I thought would work
something like a charge-back through Visa/Mastercard) instead of giving the
seller negative eBay feedback.

I submitted my claim on the 28th.  Paypal's policy allows 30 days for them to
respond.  Look at the date header in the message below:  it's as if they have
a cron job that issues response letters from the west coast at the last
possible hour.

If you read the letter you can see why I'm more inclined to complain about
Paypal to the Massachusett's attorney general's office than I am to complain
about the original seller of the LCD monitor.  Paypal is *disappointing*!
I'll use Visa/Mastercard from now on.

Anyway what I'm wondering is whether it's worth going through Paypal's
charade, and whether you know of an electronics repair shop who can fulfill
Paypal's request within the 10 calendar days they insist on (nice how four of
those days are weekend days...).  If I were running a repair service and shown
this letter, I wouldn't cooperate because of the clause about not commencing
with the repair:  why go through the effort to write an estimate for a job
that probably won't be started?

Sorry for bothering the list about non-Linux stuff.  But I figure some of
y'all might be frequent Paypal users and therefore interested.

-rich